Wednesday, March 28, 2012

recalculating...

Ok, so I have had a hard time focusing on the major task at hand: my MA qualifying paper.  I haven't looked at it for a few days now, and I plan to work on it for a few hours tonight.  I know I can finish it, but I have had some other thoughts clouding my mind, mainly having to do with the pursuit of my passions.  So, today I made an unplanned visit to the Career Services center at my university.  I talked to a counselor about what my possibilities were, but he sensed that I was not passionate about what I was suggesting.

I was presenting him with some of the research I had done on teaching positions at Chicago area Community Colleges.  I told him about how I plan to apply and that I would need my CV reviewed and my cover letter critiqued.  I also inquired about where I could look for more similar jobs.  But...

At a certain point, he stopped me, and asked directly what my passions were.  I answered truthfully:  "I love surfing and rock climbing, and I want to practice those sports, photograph the places where I practice them, and write about my adventures" Why? "because I feel alive when I go out and experience them."   He suggested I go after those passions, with the possibility of forging my own path.  He asked me to do some research about the companies and publications I am interested in working for, and to come back in two weeks with some findings.  It was great to hear encouraging words about pursuing my passions in that sense.  I had considered them, but always dismissed my thoughts as daydreams.  I've actually never been encouraged to go after those dreams before today, and I want them to come true so badly.

I want to figure out what I will do with my life NOW!  I'm sick of waiting and wondering if the dreams I have will ever happen for me.  I feel a rush to get out there and start testing the possibilities.  But, as I do more research, I can see that it will not be an easy path and that it will take some time to get to where I want to be.  It will take months, maybe years...

We did discuss some possibilities that will hold me over while I find the path that matches my passion.  Teaching seems to be a good fit for my skill-set and easy enough for me to still dedicate time to the search of my "dream job."  Overall, what today's meeting did for me was to to confirm that there are possibilities and hope, and that I just need to go after them relentlessly.  It is after all my passion to explore...I just need to explore this in the same way.

Also, realizing that this is actually a path that I want to pursue, I am inspired to produce writing that documents my explorations.  This past trip to the Red River Gorge was not successful in that sense, I didn't take more than 5 pictures, although I had plenty of time to do so.  That cant happen again.   I also need to get back into the rhythm of surfing when the time comes for it.  Its becoming more clear that my compass is pointing to Chicago again...except its a much grittier and harder edge of Chicago its pointing to.  One that I'm not totally comfortable in, one that will challenge me, but one that will make me grow.  Still need to explore the possibilities before I get set on anything, but my navigation system is recalculating...

  

No comments:

Post a Comment